Ladies and gentlemen - we are a mere 1 week away from the start of the NHL / Colorado Avalanche season! To celebrate, I present to you my 5 favorite hockey commercials of all time!
5. Penguins - A&L Motors
4. Wild - Brunette Tries to Get #15 Back
3. Bud Light - Street Hockey
2. Bruins - Hockey Rules - Date Night
1. ESPN - Brendan Shanahan
- The big fact: This was Mueller’s FIRST GAME since Blake ended his season in APRIL (5 months ago!).
- That means Mueller is either incredibly unlucky or incredibly fragile.
- Which one do you think is more likely?
- The part I find really scary: No one attending game can even recall the hit that caused Mueller’s injury, nor as far as I can tell was there any sign that Mueller was injured during the game.
- Proof? Dater wrote this after the game: "Mueller didn’t do much. He rarely had the puck on his stick, but at least he’s playing and seemingly healthy."
- These phantom concussions remind me of the sort of concussions that Steve Young and Troy Aikman suffered at the end of their careers, when it seemed that any seemingly routine hit could knock Young / Aikman out.
- Given these facts, I can’t imagine we will see Mueller back in the lineup anytime before Christmas.
- And when he’s back, that Cascade M11 helmet better freaking work. Otherwise, we're going to remember Peter Mueller as the guy we got 20 good games out of for @WojtekWolski.
- This just in: the Avs 2009 Draft > the Avs 2010 Draft.
- Number of 2010 draft picks left on roster - one. (Luke Walker - 5th round)
- Great to see a full building for the Burgundy / White game.
- What the hell is with the parking / traffic situation at 1st Bank?
- It shouldn’t take 15min to park at arena that boasts an NBA-D league team.
- Only players who scored during a scrimmage Saturday and Sunday and scored during the Burgundy / White game? Ryan O’Reilly and Chris Stewart.
- You can add Duchene if you count his SO goal during the Burgundy / White game.
- I told my buddy right when they announced Duchene was up for the SO - “no way this isn’t going in”.
- NHL - What the fuck is this? Not funny.
- Avs played on the other ice sheet today, which meant less bleacher seats for fans, so I decided to stand on the glass, just a few steps up from the goalline. It was fun to see the action so close, but being that close makes it much tougher to do player evaluations. So take this with a grain of salt, I suppose.
- Team Grey, which featured Avs regulars Duchene, Mueller, Hejduk, Wilson, Quincey, and McLeod, got outscored a combined 11-2 in their games. Some of that was some less than stellar play in net from John "Grandpa" Grahame, but definitely not a lot of bright spots from Team Grey.
- I’ve haven’t been impressed at all with Kyle Quincey. Made a few bonehead plays today, then got frustrated and ran his stick up on Winnik when Winnik moved in for a check at center ice during game 2. Kyle ended up fighting #34 and Daniel beat him down quickly.
- Brandon Yip had 3 goals today. I’m not sure if anyone is asking anymore, but there is absolutely no question Yip belongs in the NHL.
- David Jones looked more like himself today. Still not going to the net, but I’m sure getting on the board twice and winning both scrimmages was nice.
- Zach Cohen put his head down and went to the net a few times in front of me. Still doesn’t know what quite to do when he gets there, though.
- Greg Maudlin - the darling of Day 1 was much less visible, and much more average today.
- I got great view of Kevin Shattenkirk's play in his own zone during game 1 and I was impressed. He made some nice, smart plays to get the puck out of dangerous situations. Really the first time my eyes started to tell me that this kid is special, instead of just reading about it.
- No Kyle Cumiskey again (groin).
- Burgundy / White game tomorrow. Go Team White!
Going with some quick bullet points (aka ABD style)...
- I'll be Training Camp both Saturday and Sunday (9AM-12PM @ Family Sports) and at the Burgundy / White game in my infamous Payton #81 white unipron jersey.
- Clearly I'll be rooting for Team White.
- Come say hi, or at least tell me if Jibbles slaps a "kick me" sign on my back. God knows my wife won't.
- Speaking of my wife - an exact quote when I told her Roberto Luongo
lostgave up the captaincy:
- "Now he has something in common with Mike Modano besides being a douchebag."
- I love my wife.
- Too bad Ozo isn't coming to the 95-96 Reunion, but I'm pretty much ok with Chris "The Cheapshot" Simon not coming. You know its bad when you have to decide which one to post.
- Anyway - back to Training Camp - I read this somewhere, can't figure out where, sorry - the battle to watch for is Shattenkirk, Elliott and Gaunce - which one makes the team?
- My money is on Shattenkirk.
- Other things to watch for Sat - Mon:
- Does Winnik suck or not?
- Is Duchene clearly the best player on the team yet?
- Does Hishon look worthy of a 1st round pick?
- Is Stoa or Mercier ready to make a serious run at making the roster?
- And if none of that excites you, you can just find me -- I'll be babbling on and on to anyone who will listen about why on earth we would re-sign David Koci.
Since you read my blog, (besides having incredibly good taste) I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're a fairly hardcore Avalanche fan. Assuming that you also live in Colorado, if you're anything like me, you were on Tickethorse.com at 10AM MDT sharp, refreshing the page with credit card in hand, ready to claim the best seats possible for the Sept 20th Burgundy / White game.
Well, unfortunately for us, our promptness was not rewarded. Instead we were greeted with this:
"This" would be a webpage without a link to actually buy tickets to the event. And really, that's the most important part.
I quickly confirmed (10:02AM) via Twitter that I wasn't alone in experience. Without a working website, I was left with two choices: 1. Attempt to order via phone 2. Drive my unshowered behind 20 mins to the nearest Dick's Sporting Goods.
I chose method 1. This experience wasn't any less frustrating. After listening to the automated message all but beg me to go to TicketHorse.com to make my purchase, and warn me of "high call volume" and the potential for a "busy signal", I was able to press 1 in order to place my order. Sure enough, busy signal.
And so I repeatedly refreshed the broken webpage, while my wife and I both repeatedly called TicketHorse -- only pausing to send complaint tweets to @TicketHorse. And I wasn't alone:
- @JessicaAvsFan WTF @tickethorse? The tix for the Burgundy/White game should be on sale and you don't answer your phones. Why should I do business with you?
- @Curucar lame tickethorse, lame. Not putting the Avs' scrimmage game on your website, and your phone lines give me busy signals.
- @anyonebutDET 40 mins and no communication via website or twitter, @tickethorse. very disappointed.
Thankfullly, right after I sent that last tweet, I refreshed the broken webpage and it was finally fixed - a "buy tickets" button suddenly. I quickly secured my tickets and went on with my day.
Look, shit happens, websites can get messed up - and the problem was corrected in less than 1 hour, which really isn't too bad. But I would have appreciated a quick message via Twitter, or maybe a banner on the webpage, anything that acknowledged the problem while it was occurring and / or an apology via Twitter after the fact. As of 8:50PM MDT, neither have occurred (in fact @TicketHorse hasn't sent a single tweet all day.)no comments