22 January 2010
It wasn’t pretty, but this was a really important win for Colorado. Avs keep 1st place in the NW, moving 2 points ahead of Vancouver - and both teams have played 50 games. The Avs also distanced themselves from Nashville by 3 points (and the Avs have a game in hand).
- Really lucky to get Nashville on a night where they uncharacteristically take a million (ok, 9) penalties. Usually, penalty filled games don’t help the Avs, but in this case they were just so many that it kept Nashville from getting any sort of offensive flow going.
- So, I was wrong - David Koci isn’t completely worthless. For the first time all season, (make sure you're sitting down...) Koci actually made a difference. The Avs were sleepwalking a little bit during the first 10 min and Koci came through with a huge hit on / fight with Preds tough guy Belek that got the Avs game going.
- Another point for Liles on PP - you can't move him unless its for another player that player is a difference maker on the PP.
- Wes O’Neill was out of place, no other way to put it. Bring back Peltier!
- Stoa is closer than O'Neill to being a NHLer, but he isn't quite there -- my favorite moment was when he got spun around like a top in front of the net right before the Yip goal.
- Brandon Yip has more points than Marek Svatos, appearing in 22 less games.
- The Preds had no answer for Stewey barreling down the right side at will in the 2nd period.
- Do you think that the Avs could use one of these Preds dman's shots on the blueline? On the PP where the disallowed goal was "scored", Suter and Weber just kept pounding away.
- There were simply not enough shots going to the net tonight. Way too many dangerous situations where the Avs should have ended up with a good shot on goal / rebound opportunity that was instead a forced pass that bounced over a stick.
- Kyle Quincey was invisible all night long - until he made a great play in the last 30 seconds to strip the puck away from a Predator down low and cleared the puck hard off the glass out of the zone.
Next Game: Homestand continues against Dallas, 6MST on Sunday.
|< Prev||Next >|