03 February 2010
As bad as the last three games had been for the Avs, I would have become very worried if they would have blown this one. We started with the bad, unconfident team we’d seen over the last 3 games, we ended with the fast, confident team that won 6 games prior to those 3 games. I told my wife “I’ve got my Avs back!”.
- Let’s get the obvious stuff out of the way. Galiardi and O’Reilly were something extremely special on the PK tonight. The game was over with the 1st shorty - you knew Columbus was going to quit (which led to the 2nd shorty.)
- O’Reilly was great 5 on 5 as well. He is shooting the puck a lot more instead of looking to make the pretty pass . That is important to do in a 3rd line roll where he isn’t going to be surrounded by the most offensively skilled guys.
- The Avs were able to overcome a really rough start where they gave up a shorty of their own to go down 1-0. I was positive that they were in a dog fight at that point. Not only did they find a way to win in regulation, they outscored Columbus 5-0 from there on.
- Don’t forget about the game Brandon Yip played. Two more goals - yes, the 2nd one was a really soft goal, but it was a really smart play by Yipper to throw that puck on net, forcing Garon to make the save. I’ve been saying Yip is for real since December - Mark Rycroft finally agreed tonight.
- Yip has 15 points - tied with Tucker. Oh, but Yip has played in 28 less games.
- McLeod built on last game. Keep it up, Cody.
- The first line isn’t still quite there, but it was nice to see Stasnty come away with a point. The group needs a breakout game and it could be coming soon.
- I’m shocked that Columbus hasn’t fired Hitchcock yet. Its just so incredibly obvious that team isn’t buying into his message anymore.
- Liles and Svatos were both non-factors tonight.
Next game: at 7th place Nashville Thursday at 6PM MST
|< Prev||Next >|