17 April 2010
Well, a disappointing loss, but keep it in perspective. The last 1st round series the Avs played in 2008, Avs were up 1-0 in Minnesota, and lost Game 2 in OT. That series turned out okay if I remember right - (maybe I’ll ask my wife).
Let’s look at how the Avs did in 5 things needed to beat San Jose dept:
5. Win Game 1 or 2 in San Jose. Perma-Check.
4. Get production from Yip and / or Stewart. Check. Yip with a goal and assist and Stewey with two goals.
3. Contain San Jose’s top line. Check. Thornton / Heatley / Marleau. No goals for the line - Heatley and Marleau and an assist and Big Joe had two. With San Jose’s goals, 16 points were awarded, and the big line only accounted for ¼ of those points.
2. Have “Special” Special Teams. Not Tonight. Avs went 0 for 5 on the PP, including a 3rd period 5 on 3 with a 5-4 lead. Avs gave up 2 PPGs to San Jose, including the OT winner.
1. Andy. Not Tonight. No question he was much better than Nabokov, and he made some gigantic saves, but I can’t put a check here when he gives up a soft goal (SJ's 4th).
A few other thoughts
- Duchene’s “mustache” makes Crosby’s beard look manly.
- Galiardi was absolutely fantastic.
- “That’s why you’re tuned in - to hear Rycroft say something crazy.” (Altitude)
- Avs fans, we are lucky to have Mark Rycroft analyzing games. A breathe of fresh air in a world full of Brian Engblom’s and Mark Mibury’s.
- But not sure if we’re lucky to have Mr. Dater. I got no problem with his blog - actually really good stuff there, required reading for any serious Avs fan, but his Twitter feed has become unbearable. Nothing but tweets about awful play by the Avs, guaranteed losses and whining about the refs. Sorry, Dater - you’ve forced me to unfollow you.
- If you haven't checked out The Avalanche Guild's live chats, you're missing out.
- See you at the Pepsi Center for Game 3. Buying tickets for Game 6 tomorrow.
Next Game: Sunday at home against San Jose, 7:30PM MDT
|< Prev||Next >|